- Based in Bristol
How to book
Use the course enquiry form on the right or call them on 01454 868963.
Training Course Details
- Course Length: Half day (9.30 - 13.00)
- Delivery Method: Classroom-based/Venue
- Suitable for: Individual
This Administration of Medication half day course follows CQC requirements on the administration of medication. It includes trainer presentation, discussion, and a short multiple-choice assessment at the end to check the information has been retained by participants. Relevant hand-outs/paperwork will be provided.
This course is aimed at any adult social care staff in South Gloucestershire, working in domiciliary, residential and day care services (statutory sector AND IVP sector agencies). By the end of the workshop participants will know:
- How to prepare the correct dose of medication for ingestion or application.
- How to administer medication that is not given by invasive techniques, including tablets, capsules and liquid medications given by mouth, ear, eye and nasal drops; inhalers and external applications.
- About their responsibility as a care worker to ensure that medicines are only administered to the correct person they were prescribed for, given in the right (prescribed) dose, at the right time by the right method/route.
- How important it is to check the medication “use by” date has not expired, and that the person has not already been given the medication by anyone else.
- How to recognise and report possible side effects.
- How to report refusals and medication errors.
- How they as a care worker should administer medicines prescribed “as required”, for example painkillers.
- What they as a care worker should do when people request non-prescribed medicines.
- About the service provider’s policy for record-keeping.
Participants will be made / kept aware of the general medication “audit trail”, with medicines being recorded when received as well as when returned (to a pharmacy).
Course provider details
- South Gloucestershire Council
- Member Since: 06/05/2014
Other courses from South Gloucestershire Council
- Mental Health First Aid
- Introduction To Contracts
- Mental Capacity Act Training Programme
- Understanding Autistic Spectrum Conditions
- Activites and Reminiscence Workshop