- Based in Clunderwen
How to book
Use the course enquiry form on the right or call them on 01633 533210.
Training Course Details
- Course Length: 3 Days
- Delivery Method: Classroom-based/Venue
- Suitable for: Individual, Group
- Awarding Body: D.ESCAL8
- Venue Option 1 - Location: Bristol & The South West
- Venue Option 1 - Dates: 29-31st Jan 2018
- Venue Option 2 - Location: West Wales
- Venue Option 2 - Dates: 25-27th April 2018
D.ESCAL8 ‘Open’ Courses are as they say – ‘open to all’.
We offer these courses from our Training Hubs of West Wales and Bristol so that as many people as possible are able to access the benefits our training provides.
This ‘Open’ option is perfect for organisations with small numbers of staff, professionals who work alone or in small teams, sessional carers paid by direct payments, agency workers and lone workers; indeed anyone who is involved with individuals who can display problem behaviours and distress.
This option also enables managers from larger organisations to experience the course and decide if it would benefit their staff. If you are coming to experience the course with this view, then you are more than welcome and will be eligible for a discount.
Our focus is on assisting carers to be compassionate, calmer and more confident when assisting individuals who are distressed. D.ESCAL8 training will enable you to not simply appear to be calm, but actually feel calmer and more confident in your de-escalation skills, enabling you to build positive relationships with those you care for.
Read below for the course objectives, content and complete registration details.
3 DAY COURSE –
DEVELOPING POSITIVE RELATIONSHIPSWITH INDIVIDUALS IN DISTRESS
On completion of the 3 day course all participants will have a solid grounding in –
- Legal aspects and policies
- Safely manage crises if and when they occur
- Positive psychology / Positive Behaviour Support (PBS)
- Understanding emotional contagion via mirror neurons
- Understanding the functions and causes of problem behaviours
- Understanding and improving their own tolerance, resilience and relationships
- De-escalation skills
- Understanding through stress training how our emotions affect the interactions we have when in stressful situations & how we can improve our communication under pressure
- Creating support systems
- Emotion and relationships
- Offloading and debriefing
PHYSICAL INTERVENTIONS – DISENGAGEMENT
D.ESCAL8 firmly believe in giving carers the skills and confidence to be able to create space when needed. As such we can teach hands on practical skills that enable people to disengage easily and calmly from:
- Simple pinches
- Wrist Grabs
- Pinching / Scratching
- Clothing Grabs
- Hair Grabs
You will also learn:
- Airway protection
- Assisting others in any situation
- Protection from hits / blows
- Advanced Stress Training
- How to handle self injurious behaviour
RESTRICTIVE PHYSICAL INTERVENTIONS
All D.ESCAL8 courses embed the principle that physical interventions should only be used as a last resort, once primary and secondary preventions have been attempted and failed. The interventions we teach on the 3 day course are effective in all situations and do not use the floor in any way. D.ESCAL8 teach interventions that are the least restrictive, and work with the movement of the individual rather than fight against it in an attempt to restrain; this results in carers being able to build more positive relationships with children and young people in distress. The third day of the course includes:
- Movement concepts
- Fluid Restraint
- Movement & Self Injury
- Other Restrictive Procedures as informed by Training Needs Analysis & Behavioural Audits performed as part of the commissioning process.
“This course truly is the gold standard, encouraging participants to reflect upon their own practices and experiences, to expand upon their understanding of ‘duty of care’ in their chosen field and that there is always another way to handle difficult situations. I have been on several courses and this is the first that focuses entirely on the individual in distress and how to support them in the best way possible. If you have the opportunity to attend, take it as you and your practice will benefit greatly.”
— H.L. MORGAN POSTGRADUATE STUDENT / PERSONAL FAMILY ASSISTANT
registration here – please use promotional code “LASTMIN” for 20% discount (in addition new customers – further 25% off totalling 45% off applies only to companies who are new customers )