- Based in Bristol
How to book
Use the course enquiry form on the right or call them on 01454 868963.
Training Course Details
- Course Length: One day (9.30-16.30)
- Delivery Method: Classroom-based/Venue
- Suitable for: Individual
This Supporting Adults with Autism one day course builds on employees’ existing awareness about autism & their initial understanding of working with adults with Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC). It uses the SPELL framework: STRUCTURE, POSITIVE, EMPATHY, LOW AROUSAL, LINKS, & gives specific, practical information and strategies to use when supporting adults with autism on a frequent, even daily basis.
This course is for staff working directly with adults with autism on a frequent, perhaps daily basis, in a range of agencies in the Statutory, Voluntary & Independent sectors in South Gloucestershire, e.g. care / support staff providing residential, day or housing services; support workers, PA’s and community-based provider staff; NHS Trust staff. It will give participants a better understanding of:
- How to enhance motivation , confidence and self esteem to enable people with autism to make a positive contribution.
- How to promote choice and control for the individual.
- Behaviours which inhibit progress or impair quality of life or health.
- The importance of the environment, and increased knowledge of ways to enhance concentration or remove distractions.
- Effective communication strategies.
- Ways to place the individual at the centre of thinking about autism and matching support to meet the persons needs.
- The key laws and policies relating to supporting an adult with ASC, and what they mean in practice.
- Where to find more information/advice on supporting an adult with ASC.
This course is delivered by Rachel Reid, Regional Coordinator, The National Autistic Society, in line with the Skills for Care Knowledge Set “Supporting people with ASC” and will be made up of tutor presentation, audio visual material, ‘real life’ example, discussion, group exercises and question and answer. You will be given a comprehensive set of notes.
Course provider details
- South Gloucestershire Council
- Member Since: 06/05/2014
Other courses from South Gloucestershire Council
- Epilepsy Refresher
- Manual Handling Risk Assessment
- Being Person-Centred
- Dignity in Care (3 modules)
- Signalong Foundation Course