Five new dementia videos from the Department of Health highlight a range of initiatives to support people with dementia in different areas of England. The videos, which have been published for Dementia Awareness Week 2015, give an insight into the following services.
- Dementia services in Tower Hamlets, London: The video focuses on the challenges for people with dementia from some black and minority ethnic communities and how services in Tower Hamlets have been developed to help meet their needs.
- Dementia Support Workers in Bath and North East Somerset: the video highlights the role of Dementia Support Workers in supporting people with dementia and their families and carers, and how their work integrates with other local services.
- Community Care Model for Dementia at North East London NHS Foundation Trust: the video describes the model developed by Dr Afifa Qazi to support GPs, care homes and community mental health team staff, which has reduced the rate of hospital admissions and length of hospital stays for people with dementia.
- Shires Community Support Team in Derbyshire: the video demonstrates how the multi-disciplinary team, led by Dr Elizabeth Barrett, works together to support people with dementia, and also describes the practice’s success in increasing diagnosis rates.
- Support for people with early onset dementia at Mersey Care NHS Trust: the video focuses on Mersey Care’s specialist service for people with early onset dementia, the different needs of younger people with dementia and how the service responds to these.