The Law Society has issued a range of Deprivation of Liberty guidance resources.
The safeguards aim to ensure that those who lack capacity and are residing in a care setting environment are not subject to overly restrictive measures in their day-to-day lives.
The guidance was commissioned by the DoH (Department of Health) and aims to health and social care professionals identify when a deprivation of liberty may be occurring in a number of settings.
Click the links below to access the resources available in PDF format.
Quick reference sheets also highlight relevant liberty restricting factors and key questions for practitioners relating to each individual setting.
- Deprivation of liberty: a practical guide (PDF 1.3mb)
- Chapter 1 – introduction (PDF 648kb)
- Chapter 2 – the law (PDF 715kb)
- Chapter 3 – Cheshire West (PDF 681kb)
- Chapter 4 – the hospital setting (PDF 693kb)
- Chapter 5 – the psychiatric setting (PDF 671kb)
- Chapter 6 – the care home setting (PDF 686kb)
- Chapter 7 – supported living (PDF 646kb)
- Chapter 8 – at home (PDF 644kb)
- Chapter 9 – under 18s (PDF 682kb)
- Chapter 10 – summaries of key cases (PDF 715kb)
- Chapter 11 – further resources (PDF 670kb)
Quick reference guides
- quick reference guide on the hospital setting (PDF 87kb)
- quick reference guide on the psychiatric setting (PDF 84kb)
- quick reference guide on the care home setting (PDF 84kb)
- quick reference guide on supported living setting (PDF 87kb)
- quick reference guide on the home setting (PDF 84kb)
- quick reference guide on under 18s (PDF 87kb)
Click here to view the source article.