This is a simple guideline list of questions for care providers to consider and ask a training provider when looking to purchase training.
About training courses
- What does the course cover?
- What are the objectives of the course?
- How recently was the course updated?
- What follow-on training is available for my workforce?
- Can you design a course for me, or tailor an existing one to meet my needs?
- Does the course lead to a qualification or accreditation?
- How is the course assessed (exams, course work, practical, etc)?
The training arrangements
- Where does the training take place?
- When is it provided?
- How long does the course last?
- What are the minimum and maximum class sizes?
- How long do the classes take?
- When and where do the exams or assessments take place?
- Can you match the training to the individual person’s learning style?
- Can you provide the correct and appropriate evidence within the required timescales to meet additional funding that I can apply for (e.g. Workforce Development Fund)?
- How much does the course cost?
- Are there any other costs (e.g. books, materials, software)?
- Am I going to have to put in some of my own time?
- Are there penalties if my employees do not complete their courses or are absent?
- When do I have to pay for registration?
- What are the payment arrangements after the course has been completed?
- Are there exam fees?
- Are there any grants available?
Evidence of quality training
- What other care providers use you’re training courses?
- Do you have references from other employers that have used your service?
- Do you have accreditation from trade bodies (e.g. Health and Safety Executive)?
- What is the extent of the trainers’ experience of the care sector?
Services for employers
- Do you do a pre-course assessment for each staff member who is training with you?
- Do you offer mentoring or support for those who are having difficulties on the course?
- What is the complaints procedure?
- What is the system for reporting on progress?
- Is there a work-based or work-simulation environment?
- What equipment do you use?
- What version of software etc do you use?
- Is the equipment or software available on-site or can it be accessed somewhere else?
- Do you offer distance learning or online learning (e-learning)?
- What facilities and support are in place for learners with special educational needs?
- Is there a crèche, and if so, what are the hours and costs for using it?
- What are the parking arrangements?
- How easy is it to reach the premises by public transport?
- What is the accommodation like (classrooms, workshops, etc)?
- What are the arrangements for disabled people?
- Do you offer help for speakers of other languages?