This guide is for autistic individual employers who are employing a personal assistant(s) for themselves or on behalf of an individual with autism.
It explains what people with autism and their families think is important to consider when employing a personal assistant (PA).
This guide is divided up into the following sections:
- I have autism and I am thinking of employing a PA
- I want to become a great autistic individual employer
- What sorts of things can a PA do for me?
- What sort of person should I employ as my personal assistant?
- How do I find the right person to be my personal assistant?
- I have used the ’employing personal assistants’ toolkit and employed a PA – what next?
- What if I have a problem with my PA once they are working for me?
- How was this guide developed?
- Useful links and references