It is Nutrition and Hydration Week from the 16-22 March 2015, we fully support this campaign for the health and social care sector. We have gathered a range of useful resources to help you improve Nutrition, Diet and Hydration in your care service.
Care providers should (from NHS):
- Deliver food service and nutritional care safely.
- Maintain an environment conducive to people enjoying their meals and being able to safely consume their food and drinks. (In hospitals this is known as ‘Protected Mealtimes’.)
- Support a multi-disciplinary approach to nutritional care, and value the contribution of staff, service users, carers and volunteers.
- Include guidance on food service and nutritional care in service delivery and accountability arrangements.
- Screen all patients and service-users to identify malnourishment or risk of malnourishment.
- Design facilities and services which are centred on the needs of the people using them.
- Create a personal care or support plan for each patient or service-user, and give them input to identify their nutritional care and fluids needs.
- Ensure that staff and volunteers have appropriate skills and competencies, and receive regular training.
- Involve patients and service-users in planning and monitoring arrangements for food services and drinks provision.
- Create a policy for food service and nutritional care which is centred on the needs of users.